Search This Blog

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Book Review: "Sticks, Stones, Roots and Bones"


Dear Neophyte,


I borrowed this book from my sister.  It's a broad and very open beginner book on Hoodoo.
Despite finding at least four errors (magic and mundane) by page 34 and the Fluffy Bunny Lewellyn fluffshite, I read threw it in three days.


This book introduced me to Foot Track Magic and the magical warfare. Foot Track Magic is now my new area of study.  And war bottles.  Facinating ancestor-cousins to my well-loved Witch Bottles. 


Which Bottles are an interesting study in and of themselves.  I've made two.  The first one got rid of a person in my life who had misused me on every level for over a decade.  It disappeared after that, never to be seen again.  

I took lots of notes on spiritual house cleansing and why paying attention to the ashe, oshugun and tree spirits is important.  Lots of good info on protecting the hearth and home, ancestor veneration and care.  Also lots of info I was shocked made its way into any Lewellyn book...

Left-handed magic.  The info came under the topic of the war bottles used to send bad juju at someone.  Under the topic of foot track magic, it's used to ward and curse someone.  Though it was pretty vague and only two examples were given of how to go about it, it was still more than I expected.  I ait it up.

I'm not fluff, I wrote a whole essay denouncing the Rede as being impractical.  I damn sure know I want to find a way to curse my enemies into oblivion if I need to.  Useful info I could have used when a 21 year old man wasnt being nice to my 14 year old sister.  He'd have been dead if I had my way.  Some people are still alive today because I'm too old to be tried as a child.


This book is recommended for the complete novice to Hoodoo.  And by complete novice, I mean someone who has never heard of the terms 'rootwork', 'war bottle' or 'iron water'.
Anyway, I filled up a good many pages of my Hearth Craft tab of my housekeeping book and about 20 pages of my BoS.  This is more than enough information for me to research the topic on my own now and fill in what the book left out.


Salutations,
Sesh

No comments:

Post a Comment