Search This Blog

Friday, November 19, 2010

Compost Offerings

Dear Neophyte,


Aside from composting tealeaves into houseplants, my compost bowl is worth noting. As I make food during the day I toss all the scraps into any dirty bowl big enough to hold it. Dirty so I don’t have to wash it twice. At the end of the night, I take the scraps out and offer them critters that live outdoors. It’s getting winter and times are getting difficult in the wilderness so I help. This is part of my Priestess duties in my eyes. 


Note: I purchased a compost bucket specifically for collecting all biodegradable refuse until it is full and can be dumped out of doors. It has holes in the top that are covered with a charcoal filter so it doesnt stink.  One bucket can hold several days worth of compost.  But it should be dumped every other day at least and washed once a week.  If left sitting there it will let out a cloud of stink when opened if it's not dumped regularly. 


My compost heap is not so much used for my gardens as for feeding wild animals during the cold months. Also, running in and out of the house in the freezing 32 Degree weather when it’s dark will make you appreciate the gift of heating and walls, and truly understand why some animals may NEED this offering.  This is where I put my offerings to the Gods.


This is not my picture but it is the exact bucket I have.  I leave it outside for a couple days to air out when it starts to get ripe.  Then spray it out with a hose and bring inside.


~~ (Invitation)
“Creatures of the Night
This woman knows your plight
Do not run from me
I invite you here
Don’t flee.
(Offering) 
Take these offerings I now shed
Eat well, my Kindred
As I go to my bed.
(Blessing)
Blessings of (Deity) upon you
Keep them safe this night
I pray thee.”

I encourage raccoons and whatnot into my yard and my life. These animals have never given me a problem and have provided much entertainment. All my food scraps are in the yard, and not the trashcan. While my cans are safe, my neighbors are not. Guess they should start composting >:D



Salutations, 
Sesh

No comments:

Post a Comment